Blow Away Breast Cancer in Nyack or battle Huntington's Disease with Team KJ in Pearl River Sunday.
Those two events are just two among a wide variety of activities in and around Nyack, Pearl River and Piermont this weekend.
Read on to learn more about opportunities to help others, take in a local street fair or check out The Shops at Nanuet.
Grand Opening Of The Shops At Nanuet
- Where: 75 West Route 59 Nanuet
- When: Thursday, Oct. 10 at 9:30 a.m., Friday, Oct. 11 at 10 a.m., Saturday and Sunday, Oct. 12 and 13 at 11 a.m.
- Cost: Free
- Description: The Shops At Nanuet Grand Opening And Flag Ceremony starts on Thursday at 9:30 a.m. and the celebration continues through the day and the weekend. Special events will be held each day beginning at 10 a.m. on Friday and 11 a.m. on Saturday and Sunday.
- Where: Nyack Village Theatre at 94 Main Street in Nyack
- When: Friday, Oct. 11 and Saturday Oct. 12 at 8 p.m.
- Cost: Tickets are $12 online and $15 (cash only) at the door
- Description: A fitting writer to focus on with Halloween approaching, take part in a night of reading and discussing the work of Edgar Allen Poe. For more information, call (201) 694-0610.
- Where: Rockland Lake State Park, 94 Lake Road, Congers
- When: Saturday, Oct. 12 with registration starting at 7 a.m. and the first race at 9 a.m.
- Cost: Registration costs $25/Parking after 8 a.m. costs $8
- Description: The officially timed 5K/10K race is expected to attract up to 1,000 participants. Park in Lot #1. The route at Rockland Lake is flat and follows the lake. All proceeds will go to an orphanage building project in Central America, water wells for people in Africa, and various charities in Rockland. Register online at www.teamgracepoint.com
- Where: Nyack College on South Blvd. in South Nyack.
- When: Saturday, Oct. 12. Registration from 7:30 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. The 3K walk begins at 8:45 a.m. with the 5K run starting at 9 a.m.
- Cost: $25 entry fee
- Description: Nyack College sponsors the races, with registration in the Moseley Field Parking Lot. Winners will be announced for women and men by age group, the top three places among walkers and first place in the stroller group. Register online at https://register.bazumedia.com/reg/form?eventID=4492. For more information, contact Nancy Gates at (845) 675-4431 or by email at Nancy.Gates@nyack.edu.
- Where: Nanuet Fire Department at 7 Prospect Street, Nanuet
- When: Sunday, Oct. 13 from 12 to 3 p.m.
- Cost: Free admission
- Description: The open house will include fire prevention information, hands on
- activities, demonstrations, and refreshments. All residents young and old are
- encouraged to attend. For more information, call 845-623-9690 or go here.
- Visit the Patch calendar for more great events.
- Where: Pearl River Middle School at 520 Gilbert Ave. in Pearl River. Post-race barbecue at Pearl River Elks Club in Nanuet.
- When: Sunday, Oct. 13. Race day registratio begins at 6:30 a.m. with the race at 8:30 a.m. Post-race barbecue from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m.
- Cost: $65 per individual racer, $95 for two-person relay and $125 for three-person relay team. Cost for the barbecue is $40 for adults (suggested donation).
- Description: The Mickey Sullivan Duathlon is in its second year helping raise awareness and funds for Team KJ in its pursuit of a cure for Huntington's Disease. The USTA sanctioned duathlon features a two-mile run, then a 10-mile bike ride and another two-mile run. To register or learn more about Team KJ, go to www.fighthd.org. There wil be a post-race barbecue at the Pearl River Elks Club.
- Where: Nyack Hospital at 160 N. Midland Avenue in Nyack
- When: Sunday, Oct. 13 at 7:30 a.m.
- Cost: For adults, $25 with pre-registered and $30 on race day. For youth (18 and under), $20 for pre-registered and $25 on race day.
- Descriptions: Immediately following the race, there will be a rally for Blow Away Breast Cancer including planting pink pinwheels in honor of those dealing with breast cancer or in memory of loved ones lost to the disease. There will be a Baker's Battle with desserts from local bakeries, raffles and more. Proceeds go to Nyack Hospital's Blow Away Breast Cancer campaign, which provides breast cancer health education, support services, community outreach and free breast cancer screenings for those in need in Rockland County. Go to www.events.org/BABCRun
to register online
- Where: Main Street and Broadway in Nyack
- When: Sunday, Oct. 13 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Cost: Admission is free
- Description: ACADA of Nyack sponsors this fair with P.J.'s Promotions. There will be over 250 exhibitors with crafts, photography, food, retail items and collectibles. There will be a children's area in the Main Street parking lot.