The Nyack Chamber of Commerce will presents Holiday Lights of Nyack Friday from 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. Saturday at the Veterans Park Gazebo on the corner of Main Street and Cedar Street. It had been scheduled for Friday, but was pushed back due to the forecast of inclement weather.
Nyack Mayor Jen Laird-White will be the master of ceremonies for the event, which includes the tree donated by Nyack's Pour House and decorations supplied by Walgreen's. .
"There's no better way to get into the holiday spirit than with live caroling, hot chocolate and cider, holiday stories, Santa and Holiday lights," said Nyack Chamber of Commerce President Scott Baird. "Our local businesses are spreading the good cheer by contributing resources and special offers to diners and shoppers for this year's event.
The Lower Hudson Valley Youth Chorus will perform the holiday carols, with more music provided by Jeffrey Friedberg and the Bossy Frog Band. Dave Blau will read "The Night Before Christmas," setting up an appearance by Santa, who will ride Highland Hose Company's antique fire truck.
There will be free hot chocolate served by Chocolaterie and free hot cider from Mostly Myrtle's.
This year's holiday lights evening coincides with the Nyack Art Collective's First Friday event, so local merchants will stay open late, providing venues for local artists. There will be a family friendly concert, Winterfest with Sukey Molloy and Friends, at the Nyack Center starting at 6:30 p.m.
The event is just part of a busy weekend including the Piermont Holiday Festival Sunday. Read more below.
Piermont Holiday Festival
- Where: Spread throughout the Village of Piermont
- When: Sunday, Dec. 8 from noon to 7 p.m.
- Description: There will be live music, ice sculptures, sales and refreshments all through the Village of Piermont Sunday. Santa ix expected to appear at Village Hall between 1 p.m. and 3 p.m., where the Women's Auxiliary will provide hot cider and candy canes. There will be hayrides at the Piermont Fire Department from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. Piermont Public Library will an art show and sale from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. an there will be gingerbread house decorating at Kennedy and Kennedy from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. The tree lighting and caroling are set for 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. at M&T Bank, with Santa riding up on a Piermont fire truck. The Chapin Sisters will perform between 5 p.m. and 7 p.m.
- Where: Nyack Library at 59 South Broadway
- When: Saturday, Dec. 7 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Description: The sale of art, gifts and crafts will be held in the Nyack Library's two lower levels.
- Where: Nyack Fencing Academy at 40 Lydecker Street in Nyack
- When: Saturday, Dec. 7 from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.
- Description: Deckade is a fundraiser for the Nyack Skate Plaza, which will be built in Memorial Park. It features the first-ever appearance of the Bobshirt Collection of skateboard art. Find out more in this report on Patch.
- Where: Orangetown Fire Co. No. 1 at 90 Depot Place in South Nyack
- When: Sunday, Dec. 8 at 8 a.m.
- Description: The breakfast features pancakes, scrambled eggs, bacon, orange juice, coffee and tea. Cost is $8 for adults, $6 for seniors and $5 for children under 10.
- Where: Veteran's Memorial Park in Orangeburg
- When: Sunday, Dec. 8. Kids races at 10 a.m. Santa 5K at 10:30 a.m. (Registration begins at 8 a.m.)
- Cost:Registration is $25 on race day. Kids races are free
- Description: The Orangetown Parks and Recreation Department organizes the 22nd Annual Santa Clause 5K run. There will be prizes for the top three male and female finishers in each age division. Age brackets include Jingle Bell (9-under), Elf (10-14), Reindeer (15-19), Snowflake (20-29), Gingerbread (30-39), Candy Cane (40-49), Eggnoggers (60-69) and Giftwrappers (70-plus). One change for this year is strollers will not be allowed. Find out more here.