There are many ways to keep busy around Nyack and Piermont this weekend, and we're here to help you decide which happenings are for you.
Read on to learn more about upcoming local events.Volley For the Cure
- Where: Pearl River High School
- When: Friday, Oct. 18 at 4:30 p.m.
- Cost: Admission donation is $2
- Description: Pearl River will play Tappan Zee in junior varsity and varsity high school volleyball matches as part of theier annual Volley for the Cure. The varsity match begins at 6 p.m. Money from donations, a bake sale and raffles will go to the Susan G. Komen Foundation for Breast Cancer Research.
- Where: MacCalman Field in Nyack
- When: 7:30 p.m. Friday
- Description: Nyack (4-2) will play at home against Yonkers (0-6) in Nyack's homecoming game.
Rockland Literacy Extravaganza Conference
- Where: St. Thomas Aquinas College at 125 Route 340 in Sparkill
- When: Saturday, Oct. 19 from 7:45 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- Cost: Fee at the door is $50, $35 for full--time students.
- Description: The 18th Annual Rockland Literacy Extravaganza is a professional conference for teachers, pre-service teachers, administrators, support personnel and all others interested in education. It provides professional development focused on New York State's Common Core Learning Standards. Find out more here.
- Where: Rockland Community College's Eugene Levy Fieldhouse
- When: Saturday, Oct. 19 at 9 a.m.
- Cost: Free
- Description: This family-friendly event includes a walk of a little over two miles and a community resource fair that also includes child-friendly activities. The event is a fundraiser for Autism Speaks, which works to increase awareness of autism and fund autism research and family services.
- Where: Nyack Memorial Park
- When: Sunday, Oct. 20 from noon to 3 p.m.
- Cost: Free admission
- Description: The third annual Friends of the Nyacks Applefest features the Hudson Vagabond Puppets among a wide variety of entertainers. Others include Jeffrey from the Bossy Frog Band, a William Tell Nerf shooting contest, live music by the Hook Mountain Boys, crafts, demonstrations and a pie baking contest. Find out more atwww.friendsofthenyacks.org.
- Where: 131 Germonds Road, West Nyack next to Germonds Park
- When: Sunday, Oct. 20 from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- Cost: Free admission, fees for some activities
- Description: Showcasing the Traphagen House and the Vanderbilt/Budke House. Includes fun family activities: pumpkin picking, decorating, and painting; petting zoo provided by Nickel-O Farms; line dancing; face painting; children’s games; honeybee presentation; guided nature walk; food vendors and free mini golf. The rain date is Sunday, Oct. 27. Read more about the festival here.