Let Patch make it easy for you to get all the information you need in one place so you can be an informed citizen to make the best decisions for your family, the community and the future.
Don't forget to sign up for our newsletter, and check out the events calendar to make sure you don't miss a thing.
Monday, Jan. 6
- Common Sense Education will stage a rally at 4 p.m. outside the office of News 12 at 235 West Nyack Road in West Nyack, one of 14 such gatherings scheduled at television news station headquarters across the state designed to put pressure on Gov. Andrew Cuomo and state legislators to hear public concerns regarding the Common Core learning standards and other educational reforms in New York. Find out more here.
- The 131st annual Village of Nyack reorganization meeting begins at 6 p.m. at Nyack Village Hall on North Broadway.
- The Rockland County Legislature reorganization meeting, which was postponed due to the snow last Thursday, begins at 7 p.m.
- Nyack Library's Tuesdays at Two Movies features movies with a connection to Rockland County. This week's selection is "The Namesake," which features a scene in front of Nyack Library. The movie is about the son of Indian immigrants trying to fit in as his family holds on to its traditional ways. The movie runs 122 minutes an showtime is 2 p.m. Find out more here.
- The Orangetown Town Council will hold its annual reorganization meeting 7:30 p.m. in Orangetown Town Hall at 26 Orangeburg Road. This includes the swearing in of seven town officials re-elected in November -- Supervisor Andy Stewart, Councilman Denis Troy, Councilman Tom Diviny, Town Clerk Charlotte Madigan, Highway Superintendent James Dean and Judge Richard Finning.
- The Hilltop Art Gallery opening for Valley Cottage Elementary School begins at 5:30 p.m. at the Nyack Public Schools' administration building.
- The Nyack Public Schools Board of Education meets at 7:30 p.m. in the Hilltop Administration Building. The meeting agenda is available through the district website here.
- Perhaps not truly a local event, but one that will have an impact locally. Gov. Andrew Cuomo will deliver his State of the State Address 1:30 p.m. Wednesday at the Empire State Plaza Convention Center in Albany.
- Nyack Library offers football fun for children in Kindergarten through fifth grade from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. They can listen to stories about written by and about their favorite football players, participate in football-related activities and make a pennant to support their teams with. Space is limited, so pre-registration is suggested. Find out more or register here.
- The Village of Nyack Board of Trustees meet Thursday, with a workshop at 6:30 p.m. and the regular meeting at 7:30 p.m. in Nyack Village Hall.