The Nyack School District Board of Education voted to approve tenure for 22 employees including teachers, teaching assistants and school psychologists during Tuesday's meeting in the district administration building.
"This group of people we will be recognizing tonight has impressed us at every turn, from the time you’ve come to us in the initial interview process to the work you have demonstrated in the classroom," Nyack Superintendent Dr. James Montesano said. "We also recognize it’s not just in that instructional day that each of you have participated in Nyack schools. You are contributing to kids on many different levels and you are certainly connecting with them very, very well."
Montesano also challenged the new tenure recipients as he praised them.
"I want to let you know that we don’t expect you in the Nyack schools, as we embrace you and support you with the awarding of tenure, to be good teachers," Montesano said. "We expect you to be great teachers and to continue that at every single step of the way as you go forward."
The 2013 Nyack Public School District Tenure Recipients are as follows, broken down by school.
Liberty Elementary School
- Tonia McGowan, speech
Upper Nyack Elementary School
- Arlene Derasmo, teaching assistant
- Kleanthi Girandola, mathematics
- Susan Hall, school psychologist
- Carol Johnson, teaching assistant
- Mary Elizabeth Maloney, elementary
- Megan Moreau, special education
- Andrea Pickford, elementary
Valley Cottage Elementary School
- Diane Capezzuto, special education
- Patricia Lora, elementary
- Michelle Niero, elementary
- Mary Stroud, teaching assistant
Nyack Middle School
- Dolores Sneeden, teaching assistant
- Wendy Stephenson, foreign language
- Pia Weston, school psychologist
- Ann Winze, music
Nyack High School
- Thomas DiLeo, social studies
- Kelly Duddy, reading
- Susan Foss, art
- John Joyce, English
- Kirsten Kleinman, science
- Linda Stone, foreign language