NAMI Family-to-Family is a Free class for family caregivers of individuals living with a mental illness and is sponsored by NAMI-FAMILYA of Rockland County, Inc. NAMI-FAMILYA of Rockland is affiliated with the National Alliance on Mental Illness and NAMI-NYS. Family-to-Family is a 11-12 week course taught by trained family members who also have a loved one living with mental illness. The class teaches the knowledge and skills that family members need to cope more effectively and offers practical support for families and friends of individuals living with a mental illness. The class and all materials are provided free, however, PRE-REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED.
- Learning about feelings, learning about facts
- Schizophrenia, major depression and mania: diagnosis and dealing with critical periods
- Subtypes of depression and bipolar disorder, panic disorder and OCD; borderline personality disorder, asperger's syndrome and autism spectrum disorders; diagnosis and causes
- The biology of the brain/new research
- Problem-solving workshop
- Medication review
- Empathy workshop-what it's like to have a brain disorder
- Communication skills
- Self-care and relative groups
- Key principles of recovery and rehabilitation
- Advocacy: fighting stigma
- Review and certification ceremony
Attend with other family members in a safe, confidential, supportive and non-judgmental setting.
*Call NAMI-FAMILYA to register for this class, PRE-REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED
(845) 359-8787 OR EMAIL: CHRIS@NAMIROCKLAND.ORG