With the Columbus Day Parade in Tappan on Sunday, Orangetown police are warning area residents to expect road closures and local travel delays.
On Sunday, Oct. 14, Orangetown Police Department will be closing Washington Street from Lawrence Street to Main Street, Old Tappan Road from Main Street to Western Highway, and Western Highway from Old Tappan Road to Washington Avenue from about noon to 2 p.m. for the parade.
Police warn that residents and travelers should make arrangements to take alternate routes since no traffic will be allowed on the parade route.
Parking will also be restricted on the following streets:
- Paul Court (both sides)
- Carol Lane (both sides)
- Lawrence Street (both sides)
- Washington Street from Slocum to Route 303 overpass (both sides)
- Kings Highway from Old Tappan Road to Greenbush Road (west side only) (EMS Staging)
- Old Tappan Road from Main Street to Western Highway (both sides)
- Western Highway from Old Tappan Road to Washington Avenue (both sides)
- Summit Street from Washington Avenue to Cedar Street (both sides)
- Cedar Street from Summit to Central (both sides)
- Central Avenue (both sides)
Handicapped parking will be available on a limited basis at the Tappan Post Office, 57 Old Tappan Road, Tappan.
Bus routes will be changed to accommodate the road closures. Rockland Coaches Bus Route 9 will not be making the scheduled stop at the 76 House, Main Street, Tappan. Rockland Coaches Bus Route 20 will use Dominican College as the last southbound pick up in New York. The next stop location will be Paris Avenue, Northvale, NJ.
An information line for the parade has been established at 845-359-7395, extension 3445.