Clarkstown police say they have broken up a scheme to buy merchandise with fake gift cards at Palisades Center mall in West Nyack.
A New York City man is being held in the Rockland County Correctional Facility in New City on theft-related charges after an incident that began with an attempt to buy two Apple iPads.
Police said that after Kengsley Angrand, 19, of Cambria Heights, bought two iPads for $1,199.89 at the Best Buy store in the mall at 7:45 p.m. Friday an investigation found the gift card was fraudulent. Police said they also found that Angrand had another eight fraudulent gift cards.
Angrand was arrested and charged with:
- 9 counts of criminal possession of forged instrument 2nd (felony),
- 9 counts of criminal possession stolen property (felony),
- criminal possession of stolen property 4th (felony),
- forgery 2nd (felony),
- Identity theft 2nd (felony),
- Grand larceny 4th (felony).
Angrand was arraigned in Clarkstown Town Court an ordered held in the county jail on $3,500 bail pending a hearing on Wednesday.