.

Overnight Fire Damages Ice Cream Shop in Congers

Firefighters: Sprinkler system stops fire from spreading at Sweet Pete's.

A small fire overnight damaged a Congers ice cream store, but volunteer firefighters said this morning that the building's automatic sprinkler system killed the flames and prevented the fire from spreading.

Phil Leto, second assistant chief of the Congers Fire Department, said the fire appears to have been caused by an electrical problem at Sweet Pete's, 57 Congers Lake Road. Although Leto said firefighters were met with smoke when they arrived at the store at about 3:30 a.m., the sprinkler system had apparently already knocked down the flames.

Congers firefighters forced open the door to the store and tore open spots in several walls to ensure the fire had not spread to hidden areas. Leto said the store suffered mostly smoke and water damage, and that the fire did not spread to other portions of the building.

Because of the time of the fire and the visible smoke when they arrived, Leto said he called for the New City Fire Department's tower ladder truck to assist with the firefighting efforts. He said about a dozen Congers firefighters responded to the fire, with the assistance of the truck crew from New City.

No one was reported injured in the incident.

Teh February 27, 2013 at 05:16 PM
Pete has said the ice cream store will be open again! Glad no one was injured. By Order of the Burgermeister ! Matt in StL
Lou Terminello February 27, 2013 at 07:48 PM
A special thank you to the members of the Congers and New City Fire Departments whose dedication to our community should be recognized more often. We are truly fortunate to have these men and women who serve selflessly 24/7/365 and ask for nothing in return. Thanks again!
Ken McQuade February 27, 2013 at 11:37 PM
Lou, I couldn't have said it any better please people when you see a blue or green light in your rear view mirror pull over and let them pass Dont delay our first responders
Marc Popkin March 01, 2013 at 10:45 PM
Thank you.....
Marc Popkin March 01, 2013 at 10:49 PM
It feels good to be thanked for our thankless job at times...I'm glad i can serve our community and help those in need.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »