are accustomed to false alarms, but early this morning they ran into one that was out of the ordinary.
An alarm went off about 1 a.m. at restuarant, 110 Main St., and when firefighters arrived they saw what looked like smoke in the back of the . However, in a few moments firefighters realized there was no fire.
Instead, what they saw was steam from a rice cooker and by coincidence a 5-pound sack of potatoes had fallen onto a fire extinguisher in the restaurant. The potatoes fell in such a way that it landed on the extinguisher's handle, discharging the entire contents of dry chemical powder.
No one was injured. Main Street was blocked for about 30 minutes as firefighters investigated the alarm.
Firefighters, however, were happy that the incident was not a repeat of the night before, when someone signaled four false alarms within a few minutes. In that incident, firefighters said someone was going across Nyack and pulling the handles on fire alarm boxes.