Smoke filled up the showroom of a Central Nyack car dealerships this morning, but fears of a fire were soon eased when firefighters realized the smoke was actually exhaust from a car being repaired at the dealership.
No one was injured in the incident at Palisades Audi on Route 59, but eastbound traffic on Route 59 was slowed for about 40 minutes because of emergency vehicles at the dealership and on the roadway.
The 9:12 a.m. emergency called brought out volunteer firefighters from Central Nyack, Nyack, West Nyack and Valley Cottage, along with members of Rockland Paramedics and volunteers of Nyack Community Ambulance Corps. Fire officials said the showroom of the car dealership was filled with smoke when they arrived, but they soon learned that the smoke was not from a fire.
Fire officials said a turbo blew out on a car engine that was being repaired in the dealership's service shop. The malfunction led to the car burning oil, which created thick exaust.
The exaust was vented out of the showroom by a fan, however, fire officials said the fan pushes air out to a covered parking deck. Because of the volume of exhaust, the another part of the building's air handling system brought the exhaust into the showroom.
The building was evacuated until it was cleared by fire officials and Clarkstown Fire Inspectors. Clarkstown police and crews from Orange and Rockland Utilities were also at the dealership.
Emergency crews were cleared by 10:09 a.m.