A malfunctioning motor for a pump on a large fish tank filled a Nyack tattoo parlor with smoke early this morning.
An automatic alarm system at Body Inkorporated, 122 Main St., alerted firefighters and police to a possible fire at around 12:15 a.m. The building in downtown Nyack, located between Park Street and Bridge Street, has the tattoo parlor on the ground floor and apartments above.
Nyack Fire Chief James Petriello said Orangetown police officers were the first to arrive to investigate the possible fire. Petriello said smoke could be seen inside the shop and police forced their way inside.
Once inside, police and Nyack volunteer firefighters discovered the smoke was caused by a burning motor for the fish tank. Firefighters used large fans to vent the smoke from the shop and they inspected the building as a precaution.
The incident closed Main Street to traffic for about an hour. No one was injured in the incident and firefighters said the working alarm system probably limited damage to the shop because of the warning it sent about the smoke in the shop.W