A New City family safely escaped their home this morning after the home's alarm system warned them of a fire in the basement, according to the New City Fire Department.
Volunteers of the New City Fire Department were able to extinguish the fire at 11 Ardsley Drive in northern New City within about 15 minutes, Second Assistant Chief Dennis Rodriguez said.
The fire was discovered about 12:50 a.m. When firefighters arrived, Rodriguez said two adults and a child had evacuated the home.
"The homeowner reported having work done in the basement and the fire was located in that area," Rodriguez said. "The homeowner's alarm system is what woke them up and saved their lives this morning."
New City firefighters were assisted by firefighters from Congers and Hillcrest, with Clarkstown police, Rockland Paramedics and New City Volunteer Ambulance and Rescue Corps members on scene to assist. The Clarkstown Fire Inspector's Office was called in, and Orange and Rockland Utilities cut gas and electric service to the home because of the fire.
Rodriguez said the family affected by the fire is staying with relatives.
In the wake of this morning's fire, firefighters urged residents to check their smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, especially if they are battery-operated, to ensure they are working.