A batch of hardworking, college-bound local teens have secured financial help for their future studies.
Six Rockland high schools seniors will receive aid from the , chief Robert Van Cura announced yesterday. Each student intends to pursue a career in law enforcement.
The students are:
- Tatianna Beaujour, Spring Valley High School
- Catherine Coyle, Tappan Zee High School
- Ryan Cross, Suffern High School
- Conor Horan, Albertus Magnus High School
- Kerry Sullivan, Pearl River High School
- Reed Tighe, Tappan Zee High School
The scholarship is named for Nyack police sergeant Edward O'Grady and officer Waverly Brown, who perished fighting the Brinks robbers—members of the Black Liberation Army—near the Nyack Thruway entrance in 1981 after a $1.6 million heist in Nanuet.
Peter Paige, a Brinks security guard, also lost his life in the incident.
The awards will be presented 10 a.m. June 2 at an awards brunch held at the . Tickets are $25.
Read about last year's Brinks Memorial ceremony .