Assemblywoman Ellen Jaffee (D-Rockland) has been appointed as Chair of the New York State Assembly Task Force on Food, Farm and Nutrition Policy. Mayor Jen Laird-White introduced her and made the announcement at the Nyack Center Winter Farmers Market at the Nyack Center on Thursday
“Nyack really has embraced this concept that we need to go back to the old way of doing things,” said Laird-White. “We need local farms to flourish. It’s important to me as a mother, the connection between where food is grown and what we eat. Ellen Jaffee … is a tireless advocate for all things family … and that everyone has the right to healthy food.”
“This (new position) will provide me with the opportunity to work on behalf of the consumers and producers of food here in New York,” said Jaffee. Here are some of her goals in her new position:
- "Programs to sustain food production capacity at the same time as improving nutrition and health"
- Expanding meal programs for seniors helps maintain their health, dignity and independence and reduces nursing home stays.
- Promoting New York farm products
- "Environmental issues that impact farms and communities, such as maintaining open space and prevent overdevelopment around our waters"
The Winter Farmers' Market is jointly run by the Nyack Chamber and the Nyack Center. Carlo Pellegrini will represent the Nyack Chamber.
Rockland food, farm, and nutrition advocates joined Jaffee in support of her commitment to nourish children, families, and communities, especially those that are underserved, with healthy, safe, sustainable food grown on local farms in New York State.
- Marion Oswald-Breland, Director, Haverstraw Center
- Michelle Kleinman, Public Health Nutritionist, Rockland County Department of Health, Division of Health Promotion and Education
- Jen Laird-White, Nyack Mayor
- John McDowell, President, Rockland Farm Alliance,
- Nathan Mungin, Executive Director, Martin Luther King, Multi-Purpose Center
- Diane Rivera, Executive Director , West Street Childcare Learning Center
- Ouida Toutebon, Executive Director, Headstart of Rockland
- Paul Trader, Executive Director, Cornell Cooperative Extension of Rockland
- Jane Brown, Executive Director, Childcare Resources of Rockland
- Julia Della Croce, Writer, Journalist, Cookbook Author, Culinary Educator
- Joan Gussow, Professor, Author, Food Policy Expert