Each week, we'll give you the info on the five best family activities or events for the week.
You're time-pressed enough, so we're happy to do the research and find the best things to do and places to go, both locally and within reasonable striking distance.
Look for the kids' planner each Wednesday, and help us build the planner with your own suggestions and tips—just add them to the comment box. Even if you disagree with our picks, let us know. We want to hear from you!
Sean Landeta of NY Giants in Town
- When/Where: Saturday, October 8, 12 - 1:30 p.m./Stop & Shop, 180 N Main St, New City
- Why Go: How often do you get to meet a record-holding football player? Former NY Giants Punter Sean Landeta will visit the Stop & Shop Supermarket and sign autographs and pose for pictures with NY Giants fans. One autographed item each and one photo per family allowed. From 1985 to 2006, Landeta spent 10 seasons as a punter with the NY Giants. Bring an item for him to autograph and your camera.
- Cost: Free
Nyack October Streetfair
- When/Where: Sunday, October 9, 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. Downtown Nyack.
- Why Go: Dozens of booths selling everything from records to clothes. Plus: awesome eats.
- Cost: Free to browse
- When/Where: Sunday, October 9, 11 a.m. - 6 p.m./Cropsey Community Farm, 220 S Little Tor Rd, New City
- Who Go: Visit Cropsey Community Farm for farm tours, foraging, pumpkins, hot cider, and more! Farm tours start at noon and at 2 p.m. Walks led by Rockland Foragers start at 11:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. This public event is part of a state-wide celebration of local food and agriculture taking place throughout New York.
- Cost/Contact: Activities are free. A $10 donation is suggested with proceeds beneftting the Rockland Farm Alliance./firstname.lastname@example.org
Volunteer for the Highview Community Playground
- When/Where: Highview Playground Site across the street from the Highview Elementary School. Corner of Highview Avenue and Church Street in Nanuet
- Why Go: It’s a new custom made playground for the community and it’s fundraised and built by community volunteers only. Be apart of this amazing “barnraising” and teach your child the importance of giving back. There’s day care and food provided. Kids 10-13 can work alongside a parent on the build site and 14-17 can work alone without power tools. 18+ can work alone with power tools if capable
- Cost/Contact: Free; Nancy MacRobbie, Volunteer Chair, 845-642-4435
Latin Dance Party
- When/Where: Friday, October 7, 9 p.m. , 39 Hudson Ave, Nyack, NY
- Why Go: Get your groove on and kick off the weekend with a dance fete.
- Cost: $18
Drop In Storytime—“Farm Fun”
- When/Where: Nanuet Library from 1:30 - 2 p.m.
- Why Go: Encourage reading and literacy and drop in for some story telling.
- Cost/Contact: Free, (845)623-4281
Party in Pink Zumbathon Charity Event
- When/Where: 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Oct. 8 at Franklin Avenue Elementary School.
- Why Go: Move, exercise and support a good cause. Run by Anna Papageorgiou, 75% of the ticket fee goes to the Susan G. Komen for the Cure, which funds breast cancer research, education, screening and treatment programs. For more information, go to partyinpink.com
- Cost: $20 advance, $25 at the door
- Where/When: 306 Route 304 in Congers; Now through mid-November. Open daily from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Why Go: Hayrides offered daily ($5 per person), plus farm markets and picnic fields to enjoy nature's finest fruit.
- Cost: Apples are weighed and priced per pound. Cash only.