Gagliardi Studio and Gallery is home to quite a few fine things. The studio houses owner Victor Gagliardi’s art, books, cards and journals and the works of others, as well.
It’s also the home to unique Latin dance classes. Gagliardi has created an inviting and warm space that he himself would want to dance in, and his instructors encourage their students to have fun while learning. That encouragement creates an enjoyable experience and exercise.
“People are always looking for something different that will get them off the couch,” Gagliardi said. “Not only is this place getting them off the couch—it is also bringing excitement and a spark into their lives.”
And there are benefits to dance, both exercise- and relationship-wise. “Any exercise induces endorphins and weight loss, and those are too big benefits," Gagliardi said. "However dance is more than that: it moves the body in ways that isn't a ‘workout’... and at the end of it all, all that fun has lead to a few inches off the waist-line. In a couple of the classes, we include a breathing technique which enables people to become more conscious of their breath so that it enables them to strengthen their relationships, think and feel more deeply."
The adult Latin Dance classes include:
- Sundays 4-5:30pm - Afro Cuban Salsa for beginners ($15) includes a 1 hour lesson with a 1/2 hour practice following the class. This class is taught by Karen Evora (includes the breathing work in my private classes)
- Mondays 8-9:30pm - Afro Cuban Salsa for all levels ($15) includes a 1 hour lesson with a 1/2 hour practice following the class. This class is taught by Cawado Jasmin
- Tuesdays 7-9pm - Cha Cha & Rumba for all levels ($18) includes a 1-1/2 hour lesson with a 1/2 hour practice following the class. This class is taught by Cawado Jasmin
- Wednesday 7-9pm - Argentine Tango for all levels ($20) includes a 1-1/2 hour lesson with a 1/2 hour practice following the class. This class is taught by Victor Gagliardi (includes the breathing work in his group and private classes)
- Friday 7-8:30pm - Afro Cuban Salsa for advanced students ($15) includes a 1-1/2 hour lesson and is taught by Geovonnie Williams (from the Westgate Lounge)
The other specialty classes include:
- American Tribal Belly Dance (Thursdays 6-7pm)
- Salsa Body Movement (Tuesdays 6-7pm, starting July 12)
Gagliardi Studio & Gallery, 39 Hudson Avenue, Nyack, (845) 358-7031 www.gagliardiphoto.com