Valentine's Day may be over, but that doesn't mean dining out is done. Here are some great picks for this week:
Grande Centrale (Congers)
- Location/hours: 17 North Rockland Avenue; Monday through Thursday from 4:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m., Friday and Saturday until 10 p.m., and Sunday until 8:30 p.m.
- Pricing: $15 to $35 for a meal, prix fix menu also available
- Atmosphere: Classy, fancy enough for a special occasion
- Why go: This place has been here since 1865! The food is delicious and the train running alongside makes you feel like you are indeed at Grand Central.
- My pick: Penne a la Vodka all the way, hands down. Savor each biteof that al dente pasta smothered in creamy pink sauce with contrasting green peas sprinkled in.
Bailey's Smokehouse (Blauvelt)
- Location/hours: 136 Erie Street; Daily from 11:30 a.m. to 10:30 p.m.
- Pricing: $7 to $18
- Atmosphere: Noisy sports bar, very casual, great place to kick back and relax
- Why go: There aren't too many authentic BBQ joints in Rockland, but this is definitely a top choice. With the numerous hours the meats are spent in the smoker, the aroma in this restaurant will make any mouth water.
- My pick: No matter what you choose for your entree, make sure to accompany it with the sweet corn souffle and you will not regret it. (Imagine creamed corn and cornbread smashed together with a great crunch on the top.) The perfectly seasoned, homemade BBQ chips are a great way to start or enjoy with your meal.