Each week, we'll give you the info on the best family activities or events for the week.
You're time-pressed enough, so we're happy to do the research and find the best things to do and places to go, both locally and within reasonable striking distance.
Look for the kids' planner each Wednesday, and help us build the planner with your own suggestions and tips‚ just add them to the comment box. We want to hear from you!
A "Get Creative" Friday: Make a One of a Kind Duct Tape Wallet!"
- When/Where: Friday, March 1 at 3:30 p.m. at Valley Cottage Library
- Why Go: Learn how to make a Duct Tape Wallet. You’ll learn how to create a simple one-of-a-kind wallet. It’s the latest trend! All supplies will be provided and snacks will be served.
- Cost/Contact: 845-268-7700; email@example.com; free - registration required
Nyack Boat Club Junior Sailing Summer Registration
- When/Where: Registration is going on now and the sessions take place this summer. Nyack Boat Club
Why Go: Young sailors are taught to sail safely and well. Now in it's 44th year, Nyack Boat Club will conduct two sessions of its widely-acclaimed Junior Sailing program during the 2013 sailing season. The sessions run from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. during the four-week course. On the last day of each session, the program hosts an awards dinner where every child comes out a winner!
Cost/Contact: $1200 http://www.nyackboatclub.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=section&id=21&Itemid=215
- When/Where: Nanuet Public Library Tuesdays March 5 - 19 from 6 - 7 p.m.
- Why Go: Join us for a 3-session course where you will learn valuable babysitting information. You must attend all 3 sessions to earn a babysitting certificate issued by the Rockland County Office of Fire & Emergency Services.
- Cost/Contact: Free—all 7th-12th graders are welcome, but priority will be given to Nanuet School District Residents. Registration is required and begins Monday, February 4th for Nanuet Library Cardholders and Friday, February 15th for all other cardholders. Stop by the Adult Reference Desk to register.
- When/Where: Barnes and Noble in Nanuet on Wednesday, Mar 6 at 11 a.m.
- Why Go: Join Ms. Mariann for a fun-filled hour of Storytime in the Children's Department. Storytime runs every Wednesday during the summer.
- Cost/Contact: Free—Barnes and Noble
Family Album Concert starring Cristina & Robert Farruggia
- When/Where: Saturday, March 2, from 7 to 8 p.m./Clarkstown High School South auditorium, 31 Demarest Mill Rd, West Nyack
- Why Go: Family Album: A Humorous and Musical Tale of Growing Up in Show Business Starring Clarkstown South Alumni Cristina & Robert Farruggia.
- Cost/Contact: All Tickets are $15 and will be sold at the door./ Call Meryl Barkin at 627-2658
The Summer Spot Day Camp Open House!
- When/Where: Sunday, March 3 from 1 to 3 p.m./Rockland Country Day School,
34 Kings Highway, Congers
- Why Go: We are a non profit day camp entering our 14th year! Our summer location is the beautiful 22 acre grounds of Rockland Country Day School. The Summer Spot provides a high-quality, flexible, affordable day camp experience for families, in a positive, diverse, supportive environment.
- Cost/Contact: Free/845-512-8270
Muddy Creek Winter Carnival
- When/Where: Saturday, March 1 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Franklin Ave. Elementary School in Pearl River.
- Why Go: The Franklin Ave. Elementary School PTA hosts this annual fundraiser, which is open to all. This Pearl River tradition features games, sand art, tattoos, nail painting, refreshments and more.
- Cost/Contact: Tickets cost $10. Purchase at the door.
Pearl River Train Show
- When/Where: Saturday March 2 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m and Sunday March 3 from noon to 5 p.m. at United Methodist Church in Pearl River.
- Why Go: The Bergen County Model Railroad Club will bring its well-loved model train show to Pearl River. The variety of displays is a popular attraction every year. Don’t miss the final weekend of the show.
- Cost/Contact: Donation is $5 for adults, $2 for children. The Bergen County Model Railroad Club is on facebook at Facebook.com/bcmrrc or online at www.bcmrrc.com
- When/Where: Tuesdays from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. in the Pearl River Public Library Storytime Room.
- Why Go: Teen volunteers will be available to help children in Kindergarten through fifth grade with their school work. No registration required. Just show up and bring your work.
- Cost/Contact: Free/For more information contact Christina Linder or Pamela Gunning at (845) 735-4084.
- When/Where: Sundays at Pearl River High School. Began Jan. 13. Buddies arrive at 9:45 a.m. and players come at 10 a.m.
- Why Go: Athletes from ages three to 21 with developmental disabilities can learn basketball and social skills while working with non-disabled peers known as buddies. The buddies get the opportunity to help others in an athletic environment. They can also fulfill volunteer hours if needed. Buddyball is part of the Orangetown Mighty Midgets, drawing players and buddies from Orangetown and surrounding communities.
- Cost/Contact: $45 for players. Free for buddies. Players must pre-register. Buddies register on site. For more information, go to http://www.buddyballsports.org/.
Visit a Museum
- When/Where: Anytime
Why Go: Most libraries offer passes to area museums to their library patrons. The Friends of the Nanuet Library have recently added a family pass to the New York City Police Museum. Contact your library to find out which museums they have passes to
Cost/Contact: Free / your library