Each week, we'll give you the info on the best family activities or events for the week.
You're time-pressed enough, so we're happy to do the research and find the best things to do and places to go, both locally and within reasonable striking distance.
Look for the kids' planner each Wednesday, and help us build the planner with your own suggestions and tips‚ just add them to the comment box. We want to hear from you!
- When/Where: Oct. 12 at 7 p.m. and Oct. 13 at 11 a.m. at the Barnes & Noble at the Palisades Center
- Why Go: We will have a special visit from Spot and read some of his stories. Don't forget your camera
- Cost/Contact: Free http://store-locator.barnesandnoble.com/store/2905
Harry Potter Halloween Party and Costume Contest
- When/Where: Saturday Oct 13 at 7 p.m. at the Barnes & Noble at the Palisades Center
- Why Go: We're celebrating Halloween with Harry Potter this year! Join us for a scavenger hunt and costume contest. Best costume wins a NOOK Simple Touch! Register before the event at www.pottermore.com to get sorted into your Hogwarts House. Ages 7-16 welcome!
- Cost/Contact: Barnes & Noble Free
- When/Where: Friday, October 12 at 10 a.m./JCC of Rockland, 450 W Nyack Rd, West Nyack
- Why Go: Come join PJ Library of Rockland and Rockland Jewish Academy for a chance to meet other parents, share parenting advice, hang out, and spend some quality time with your little one! For children ages 6 months - 3 years.All families are welcome!
- Cost/Contact: Freefirstname.lastname@example.org or (845) 362-4200 x207.
- What/When: Saturday, October 13 at 9 a.m./Rockland Community College, 145 College Rd, Suffern
- Why Go: At Autism Speaks our goal is to change the future for all who struggle with autism spectrum disorders. We are dedicated to funding global biomedical research into the causes, prevention, treatments, and cure for autism; raising public awareness about autism and its effects on individuals, families, and society; and bringing hope to all who deal with the hardships of this disorder. Come join us for a family day filled with the 1.5 mile Walk, Resource Fair, many activities for children, food, bouncy castles, live music and more.
- Cost/Contact: Donations accepted/ http://www.walknowforautismSpeaks.org/greaterhudsonvalley
- When/Where: Barnes and Noble in Nanuet on Tuesday, Oct. 16 at 4 p.m.
- Why Go: Attention, homeschooling parents! You are eligible for an educator card. Come in and sign up for an educator card, enter to win great prizes and take advantage of the savings the card brings, including a discount on NOOKs during this week
- Cost/Contact: Cost/Contact: Free—Barnes and Noble; For educator card, please bring a photo ID and a letter with the following: family name and address, name of homeschooling parent(s), grade level of each child being homeschooled.
- When/Where: Barnes and Noble in Nanuet on Wednesday, Oct. 17 at 11 a.m.
- Why Go: Join Ms. Mariann for a fun-filled hour of Storytime in the Children's Department. Storytime runs every Wednesday during the summer.
- Cost/Contact: Free—Barnes and Noble
- When/Where: Saturday, Oct. 13 from 1-3 p.m. at A.C. Moore
- Why Go: Stop by A.C. Moore in Nanuet this Saturday with your child to create fun Duct Tape Halloween Bookmark
- Cost/Contact: A.C. Moore
- When/Where: Daily at Depiero’s Country Farm at 300 W. Grand Ave. in Montvale, NJ.
- Why Go: Family-friendly activities every day, with face painting and Jumping Jim’s Inflatables on weekends. Hayrides are available from noon to 5 p.m. weekdays and 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on weekends all through October at $11 per person. Each person gets a pumkin. DePiero’s also has a petting zoo with cows, goats, chickens and a donkey and a hay maze.
- Cost/Contact: Hayrides cost $11 per person. Face painting, inflatables, hay maze and petting zoo are free. For more information, go to http://www.depieros.com/
Orangetown Open House
- When/Where: Saturday Oct. 9 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Orangetown Town Hall
- Why Go: Bring the family for a tour of the Orangetown Police Department