Each week, we'll give you the info on the best family activities or events for the week.
You're time-pressed enough, so we're happy to do the research and find the best things to do and places to go, both locally and within reasonable striking distance.
Look for the kids' planner each Wednesday, and help us build the planner with your own suggestions and tips‚ just add them to the comment box. We want to hear from you!
Annual Holiday Lights of Nyack Event
- When/Where: Friday, November 30 from 5:30 to 7:00 pm at the Veterans Park Gazebo on Main and Cedar Streets in the center of Nyack.
- Why Go: There will be Live Caroling, Free Refreshments, Tree Lighting, Santa Visit, Special Holiday Story Reading Local Businesses Contribute and Offer Special Deals at this annual holiday lighting
- Cost/Contact: Free / www.nyackchamber.org
- When/Where: Saturday, Dec. 1 at 5 p.m./Street School Community Center, 31 Zukor Rd, New City
- Why Go: Pre-schoolers will sing carols and a very important visitor will be there. Entertainment and light refreshments. Come out and enjoy a festive evening! Snow Date: Monday, Dec. 3 at 6:30 p.m.
- Cost/Contact: Free/845-639-6200
Holiday Boutique Shopping Spree
- When/Where: Friday, Nov. 30 from 6 - 9 p.m. at A. MacArthur Barr Middle School
- Why Go: Please join us for a HOLIDAY SHOPPING EXPERIENCE with over 40 vendors for you to choose. In addition to shopping, be sure to check out the TRICKY TRAY BASKET RAFFLES that will be available and given away at the end of the evening (winners need not be present).
- Cost/Contact: Admission is FREE / firstname.lastname@example.org
Dance Central Annual Performance
- When/Where: Saturday, Dec. 1 at 4 p.m. at Pearl River High School
- Why Go: Dance Central will put on its annual Nutcracker Performance with sales of public tickets going to benefit the Chanin Family. There will also be a raffle for a $500 gift certificate.
- Cost/Contact: $10 per ticket to the show and $5 per raffle entry. Tickets are available at Dance Central after 5 p.m. Monday through Friday and Saturday from 10 a.m. to noon. For more information, email email@example.com
- When/Where: Friday November 30 at 7 p.m. at Barnes & Noble at the Palisades Center
- Why Go: Owen the baby hippo and his mama were best friends. They loved to play hide-and-seek on the banks of the Sabaki River in Africa. That was all before the tsunami came and washed Owen's world away. Children will get to make a tortoise just like Mzee.
- Cost/Contact: Free / Barnes & Noble
- When/Where: Saturday December 01 at 11 AM at Barnes & Noble at the Palisades Center
- Why Go: Please join us for stories and music hosted by Nursery School of the Nyacks.
- Cost/Contact: Free / Barnes & Noble
- When/Where: Tuesday, Dec. 4 from 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. in the Pearl River Room at the Pearl River Public Library
- Why Go: Teens choose from a selection of books, read for a month and come back the first Tuesday of the following month to answer trivia questions. Share the books, trivia and snacks.
- Cost/Contact: Free/For more information contact Christina Linder at (845) 735-4084.
- When/Where: Sunday, Dec. 2 at 9:30 a.m./Temple Beth Sholom, 228 New Hempstead Rd, New City
- Why Go: Members of adult and children's choirs, TBS Band and other talented members of Temple Beth Sholom will participate in the special benefit concert to raise funds to help victims of Hurricane Sandy.
- Cost/Contact: 845-638-0770
Orangetown Patriots Fundraiser—Dine at Bella Luna
- When/Where: Bella Luna Brick Oven Pizzeria & Restaurant All Day Wednesday
- Why Go: Two teams from the Orangetown Patriots have advanced to compete in Disney Orlando, FL for Nationals. They will competing in December and both teams are comprised of students from Nanuet, Pearl River and Orangeburg. The girls have been diligently fundraising around the county since their advancement from their last competition held in Trenton, NJ on November 17. Bella Luna is supporting the Orangetown Patriots in their journey to Nationals. Bella Luna will donate 10 percent of their sales to the Orangetown Patriots on Wednesday, Nov. 28, all day.
- Cost/Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Family Movie Night
- When/Where: 6:30 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 30 at the Nanuet Library
- Why Go: Enjoy a movie on our big screen: The Lorax. Bring blankets, pillows, and whatever makes you most comfortable. The library will provide snacks. A grown up must accompany children into the Library and remain with them in the Community Room during the movie presentation.
- Cost/Contact: No registration required. Free / Nanuet Library
- When/Where: Tuesdays from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. in the Pearl River Public Library Storytime Room.
- Why Go: Teen volunteers will be available to help children in Kindergarten through fifth grade with their school work. No registration required. Just show up and bring your work.
- Cost/Contact: Free/For more information contact Christina Linder or Pamela Gunning at (845) 735-4084.
- When/Where: Wednesday, Dec. 5 from 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. at Pearl River Public Library
- Why Go: For ages four to 12, to share in being creative with the library’s Lego collection. No registration necessary.
- Cost/Contact: Free/For more information contact Pamela Gunning at (845) 735-4084.