Each week, we'll give you the info on the best family activities or events for the week.
You're time-pressed enough, so we're happy to do the research and find the best things to do and places to go, both locally and within reasonable striking distance.
Look for the kids' planner each Wednesday, and help us build the planner with your own suggestions and tips — just add them to the comment box. We want to hear from you.
Nyack Farmer’s Market Outdoor Opening
- When/Where: Riverspace in Nyack Thursday, May 9. The Farmer’s Market opens at 8 a.m. Silly Pencil caricatures from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and the Bossy Frog Band will play from 11 a.m. to noon.
- Why Go: Bring the kids for a free concert by Jeffrey Friedberg and The Bossy Frog Band or get a Silly Pencil caricature and shop the opening day outdoors for the 2013 Nyack Farmer’s Market.
- Cost/Contact: Free. http://www.bossyfrog.com
Fencing 4 Paws
- When/Where: Nyack Fencing Academy at 40 Lydecker St, Nyack Sunday, May 12 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Why Go: Take in the fencing tournament and support Rebuild HI-Tor. In addition to financial donations, they will be collecting dog and cat foods, cat litter, blankets, towels, sheets, and toys.
- Cost/Contact: To register as a competitor, go tohttp://askfred.net/Events/moreInfo.php?tournament_id=21967
Family Wrestling Night
- When/Where: Friday, May 10 at Pearl River High School. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. with the first match at 7:30 p.m.
- Why Go: Enjoy professional style wrestling at the Franklin Avenue Playground Committee’s latest family-friendly fundraiser. There will be eight matches, including two matches, with a 20-man battle royal for the main event. Raffaele's Pizzeria and Yogurt Sensation will provide the concessions and raffle prizes will include a Franklin Ave. Championship belt.
- Cost/Contact: $20 for ring side and $15 for the bleachers/For more information or to order tickets, email FAPlayground@hotmail.com.
Tommy Scognamglio 5K Walk/Run
- When/Where: Sunday, May 12 at 9:30 a.m. at Pearl River High School. (Meet in the parking lot by the gym).
- Why Go: Walk or run in this fundraiser for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. The event is held in the name of Tommy Scognamiglio, who was 16 years old when he passed away from Osteosarcoma, a form of cancer, last October, but the plan is to honor all those who have been affected by cancer.
- Cost/Contact: $30 for race participants, $50 for family memorial walk/http://www.leukin4cure.webs.com
Walk Away Hunger
- When/Where: Saturday, May 11 with registration starting at 8 a.m./North entrance of Rockland Lake State Park, 299 Rockland Lake Rd, Valley Cottage
- Why Go: Meals on Wheels of Rockland invites you to join "Walk Away Hunger. This walk is concurrent with the annual Bill Fortune Memorial Run, sponsored by the Rockland Road Runners. Proceeds of the walk and the run will benefit Meals on Wheels of Rockland to support the programs and services they provide for the homebound and senior population of Rockland County.
- Cost/Contact: Registration is $25 by May 9th or $35 the day of the event. Tee shirts are guaranteed to the first 100 walk registrants. Register online at www.mowrockland.org or call the Meals on Wheels office at 845-624-6325. To register for the 5k or 10k Run, visit www.rocklandroadrunners.org/races/fortune.
Nanuet Boy Scout Troop 33 Garage Sale
- When/Where: Saturday, May 11 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m./A. MacArthur Barr Middle School, 143 Church St, Nanuet, NY
- Why Go: Stop by to shop and support Boy Scout Troop 33 at our 7th Annual Garage Sale. It's a huge sale with way too many items to mention!
- Cost/Contact: Free admission
- When/Where: Saturday, May 11 from 5 to 7 p.m./Felix Festa Middle School, 30 Parrott Rd, West Nyack
- Why Go: ‘Unity in Diversity’ is presented by the Eastern Cultural Heritage Organization (ECHO), a not-for-profit organization. We are bringing different religious leaders together for panel discussions. Through this project, Eastern Cultural Heritage Organization wishes to highlight the cultural fabric of Rockland County, to foster and create an awareness of its rich cultural diversity. There will be storytelling, Indian classical dance, and a performance of fusion music by the local artists. The theme of our event is, “Pluralism and Intercultural Communication.”
- Cost/Contact: Free/http://www.echorg.org
Fame the Musical
- When/Where: Saturday, May 11 at 3 p.m./Clarkstown High School North, 151 Congers Rd, New City
- Why Go: The Helen Hayes Youth Theatre presents FAME the Musical.
- Cost/Contact: $15/ 845-826-2049 or email@example.com