Each week, we'll give you the info on the best family activities or events for the week.
You're time-pressed enough, so we're happy to do the research and find the best things to do and places to go, both locally and within reasonable striking distance.
Look for the kids' planner each Wednesday, and help us build the planner with your own suggestions and tips‚ just add them to the comment box. We want to hear from you!
Crafts: Buy & Decorate
Art Gallery Reception
- When/Where: Sunday, Jan. 20 from 2 - 4 p.m. at the Nanuet Public Library
- Why Go: The Mon Amie Corinne gallery is by Jane Coco Cowles. She says “In this series, I part with something I once thought too painful, my originals. After losing the best friend I searched a lifetime to find, there is no better time to grant her wish and let go of my originals. With each image in this series, Mon Amie Corinne, I share a piece of an incredibly talented and beautiful woman. We all have a friend who touches our soul. For me Corie was that person. May her spirit live on as I rediscover a medium I abandoned years ago. I dedicate it to her daughter Gracie. I want to see all of the things her mother loved through the eyes of her best friend.”
- Cost/Contact: Free / Nanuet Public Library
Film Showing: Big Eden
- When/Where: Sunday, Jan. 20 at 2:30 p.m. at Nyack Public Library
- Why Go: Big Eden is a tiny fictional town in northwestern Montana, as Preston Sturges or Frank Capra might have envisioned it. Timber and Cowboy country. This is the story of Henry Hart, a successful New York Artist, who returns to the town of his childhood to care for the ailing grandfather who raised him; Rated PG-13
- Cost/Contact: Free / Dane Paciarello at 845-358-3370-244
Rockland Rampage 11U Travel Baseball OPEN Try Outs
- When/Where: Thursday at 5 p.m. at 99 Torne Valley Rd, Hillburn, NY
- Why Go: Rockland Rampage 11U Travel Baseball Team will be having Open Try Outs January 17th 5:00 -6:00pm & January 24th 5:00 - 6:00 PM at the Torne Valley Bubble in Hillburn NY.
- Cost/Contact: Free / Please contact email@example.com to sign up
- When/Where: Saturday, Jan. 19 at 11 a.m. until 12 p.m./307 Hungry Hollow Rd, Chestnut Ridge
- Why Go:The Nature Place Day Camp spotlights their favorite storyteller, Chuck Stead, to spin tales of winter, wonder, and surprise. Chuck enthralls children and adults alike with his hilarious and heartbreaking stories. This event will be followed by an open house from 1- 4pm.
- Cost/Contact: Free/http://thenatureplace.com/the-dirt/
Matty Roxx Concert
When/Where: Thursday, Jan.17 at 10 a.m./New City Library, 220 N Main St, New City
Why Go: Ages: 12 months and up. Sing, play along and dance! Due to space constraints only one adult per child will be admitted. All adults must show their New City or West Nyack Library cards at the door.
- When/Where: Sundays at Pearl River High School. Began Jan. 13. Buddies arrive at 9:45 a.m. and players come at 10 a.m.
- Why Go: Athletes from ages three to 21 with developmental disabilities can learn basketball and social skills while working with non-disabled peers known as buddies. The buddies get the opportunity to help others in an athletic environment. They can also fulfill volunteer hours if needed. Buddyball is part of the Orangetown Mighty Midgets, drawing players and buddies from Orangetown and surrounding communities.
- Cost/Contact: $45 for players. Free for buddies. Players must pre-register. Buddies register on site. For more information, go to http://www.buddyballsports.org/.
- Why Go: This six-session baseball clinic is designed for ages 6-12. Instruction is in small groups, with four in each. Participants are grouped by ability. The STAC coaching staff and players will provide instruction. There is a 70-foot batting cage and there are indoor mounds at the STAC gym.
- Cost/Contact: Cost is $119 for six sessions. Checks payable to STAC Baseball. Register online here. For more information, go to stacathletics.com or contact STAC baseball Head Coach Scott Muscat at smuscat @stac.edu or through the website at stacathletics.com/sports/bsb.